07 April 2008

Grocery shopping

Today is grocery shopping day. Ok, EVERY day is a grocery shopping day and as usual, I am not looking forward to it very much. This is because 4 of us go into the store...... but it is only ME who does the shopping.

We make so many return trips to the store to get what someone "forgot" because these guys have no concept of a shopping list. Today Rick and I are taking two of our newest rookies with us. We were about to enter the store when I asked them, "SO, what do we need?"

And someone answers, "FOOD."

(Thank you for that insight!)

"What KIND of food?" I ask. (We seriously need a shopping list!)

"EDIBLE" is the answer I get back.

(Geez, is there
aspirin on that absent grocery list???)

It has always been hard for me to grocery shop with a man, let alone 6 right now. We always seem to have different tastes in foods. Whereas I would prefer whole grain breads and milk, they are happier with jalapeno bread and beer. Thank God they don't drink... we'll save on the beer!

So here "we" are...... to do the grocery shopping....... for EDIBLE things...... things humans eat. Or at least what most normal humans eat.

I glance at the guys as I am picking out things we need. A few girls have swarmed around them and are trying their hand at flirting. Rookies are always flattered. But these two don't see that the girls are from the school across the street. I can only stand this so long. No, I am not "jealous." I am just desperate to get the ice cream back to the Station before it melts.

I interrupt my partner, Rick. "Can we go now?" I ask.

He looks at the girl who seems annoyed. My goodness, if looks could kill....

"Is that your girlfriend?" she asks. (Only a kid would ask such a thing!)

Rick replies, "Nooooooooooo way! She is my partner!" (That doesn't sound good)

"She's been my partner for years." (That sounds worse)

The girl looks ticked.

"She is my boss!" (Better, but I hate being referred to as someone's "boss")

The girl seems satisfied with the answer/explanation.

Next thing I know... she suddenly has admiration for me. I don't know what they have told her.

"You are SO brave and lucky to work with these guys!" she says.

I look at this clueless girl, roll my eyes........ take a deep breath....

(Brave. Yeah right. I am laughing to myself. I'm just a survivor).

I load the groceries onto the belt, they are rung up, bagged and put into the cart. I am heading for my squad. "WE" didn't go shopping; "I" did. I swear I am not unloading these groceries when we get back to the station.

I will count to 10. If they aren't on board, they can WALK back to the Station!

By the way, one of them had to go back to the store. They didn't get their jalapeno bread. I wonder why??? ;-)

No comments: