03 May 2009

I'm losing my touch

"Engine 7, Rescue 2, an EMS response on the freeway. 32 year old male injured by an apparent pipe bomb, conscious and alert, bleeding from the arm." (We are given directions to the scene at this point).

"County Fire, Engine 7, Rescue 2 responding."

We arrive on the scene. A Chevy Malibu has impacted the center divide. Reports tell us that a bomb had been thrown into the Malibu from a passing car. It hit our patient in the arm. Our patient is lying on the ground near to his car. Passerbyers who had witnessed what had happened had pulled over to assist the man. His shirt is blackened and his arm is bleeding, obviously burned.

As we attend to the patient, we are told by the police that a suspect has been arrested and is in police custody. We were told it was a molotov cocktail that had been thrown into our patient's car. Our patient is prepped for the ride to the emergency room. He is in stable condition. During the ride, I realized how tired I was. The humming of the squad's engine just about put me to sleep.

Upon arriving at the ER, the attending physician asks for details and updates on the patient.

So I give the pertinent information to the doctor. "32 year old male, hit in arm with a masultov cocktail, BP 130/70, Pulse 85, Respiration 32..."

"Mazultov?" the doctor asks.

"Yes, but he is stable. There was more damage to the car than to the patient," I answer without thinking.

It just took three seconds to hear the giggling of the nurses before I caught on to my verbal mistake. I'm losing my touch. Usually it only takes ONE second!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mazultov. That is hilarious! Chief Sheena must be a pip to have around. At least she seems to keep everyone on their toes and never knowing what will happen (or be said) next! I'm sure I can speak for everyone out there: KEEP THE BLOGS COMING!!! God Bless. FF in Arkansas

Anonymous said...

I don't think you are "losing your touch"...... in fact, you are "being your always funny self" and without KNOWING it half the time! Keep the "slips of tongue" coming! That is what makes you YOU! Cheers from the LAPD!

Anonymous said...

That one sure was worth a good laugh. And very well written story too-just slipped in there...

Sue