16 February 2008

Animals in the Firehouse

I woke up this morning to find the cat sitting in the corner of the recreation room, facing the wall. He just sat there looking at the wall as though he had been punished.


"Ok, WHO put the cat on TIME-OUT?" I shout.

I ask this because we have a Firefighter here who actually put two fish that were in the tank on time-out. Seems they were those Indian Kissing Fish and they kept kissing and chasing each other all through the tank. HE thought they were fighting. So he threw one of them into a glass bowl to cool off. Go figure.

We are not a normal Firehouse. We don't have a Dalmatian.... the mascot of any normal Fire Station. No, no, no. We have a duck. Yes, a duck. We acquired him against our wishes. Some time ago, we were finishing up at the scene of a fire and lo and behold... sitting there on the back of the rig was a duck. Since there was a nearby park, we figured he got confused in all the confusion and smoke and ended up on our rig. My partner picked up the duck and walked him across the street to the park and left him there.

As we were driving away, that duck flew next to our rig and landed on the top. We pulled over and removed the bird and continued on. That duck caught up with us two more times and both times he was removed. Feeling he got the message, we headed to our Station. Unfortunately, so did that darn duck. He wouldn't leave. He made himself at home in our Station and has been with us ever since. He was named Seguace (meaning "follower").

That duck is not normal. Obviously! He lives in a not-normal Firehouse. He drinks from my coffee cup (I know this because there is always duck slobber in my cup). He is "potty trained" (he quacks to go outside to do his thing). He eats spaghetti. He has a fit if he sees us eat chicken. Like I said, he is not normal. What can I say? Perhaps one day we will have duck for dinner. At least it would be much quieter around here. ;-)

So the cat is not normal and the duck is not normal. Neither are the 16 men who work here.... ok, minus Captain Harold. He is in charge. Wait, he can't be normal if he is still here in charge of all of us. I am second in line. Most would think I am not normal either. Well, this might be true.... but at least I have an excuse: I am blonde. (Good enough excuse as any!)

No comments: