16 February 2008

Thinking outside the box

Seriously, there were days in my life when things were normal. That all changed when I joined the Fire Academy. Things got strange then. I said things I didn't remember.... I couldn't remember what I knew. I literally became an idiot in hours. I thought I knew everything. In reality I knew nothing and yet, years later, the "teachers" of that Academy tell me I taught them a whole lot. They never said what I taught them as a student...... perhaps it was that there was no limit to what God could produce in this world to make others stand in one place with their mouths open in disbelief.


I remember in the Academy, there were 9 of us "wanna-be-Firefighters" who were standing in a 12 foot by 12 foot square box that was marked in white paint on the concrete. We were learning about fire extinguishers and which ones work on various types of fires. I have always been nervous in public. I hate being the center of attention. So there I am, being questioned about the use of fire extinguishers and WHICH one did I think would put out the fire in front of me.... (it was an electrical fire). Unable to think, I panicked and therefore did nothing. (You wouldn't have wanted ME to come to your house to put out a fire during these days........ believe me!)

The more the Instructor shouted for answers, the more nervous I got.

"THINK QUICK! Which extinguisher would you use to put out this fire?"

(No answer from me. I am thinking)

"The house is on fire. What will you do???"

(No answer. I am still thinking. I don't see a house....)

"The house is TOTALLY engulfed in flames! Think OUTSIDE THE BOX! What would you do???"

In my nervousness, I ran "outside the box"....... outside the perimeter of that 12 x 12 foot painted area.... to THINK.... like I was told.

"What the hell are you doing???" the Instructor shouts.

"I am THINKING OUTSIDE THE BOX, sir!!!" I shout back.

If this was my job at that time, I am sure I would have been immediately fired. The laughter from my other classmates didn't help me at this time. Nothing could.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sheena that is classic "You" ;)