26 April 2008

Cold versus Hot

Firefighters wear about 60 pounds of bunker gear and equipment when they go to a fire. With the intense heat of the fire and the "workout" we get while running up and down stairs or manning a high pressure hose, our body temperatures tend to go up a bit. We sweat a lot in those bunker clothes. They were not designed to "breathe" but rather to protect us from fire, heat and other elements.

I am so used to feeling "overheated" that when I am not wearing those clothes and equipment, I often feel cold.

I had the day off from work and decided to go to one of my favorite Asian markets in my home town. As I walked into the store I was met a blast of cold air. I wish I had brought my sweater. My goodness, that store was freezing!

I met Chung. He is the manager of the meat department. I've known him for about 15 years. I was shivering.

""Why am I always so cold?" I asked him, trying to make excuses for my chattering teeth as he stood there in a short sleeved shirt.

"You no at work," he explains. "There you in heat all the time."

I have to admit, I have never thought of myself "in heat" ... especially at work.

:-)))

1 comment:

Nikki said...

Oh, that's just too funny.